Ransomware: What it is and How to Protect Your Business
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of malware that encrypts a victim’s files, making them inaccessible, and demands a ransom payment in order to decrypt the files. Ransomware attacks can be carried out in a number of ways, including phishing emails, malicious websites, and drive-by downloads.
How to Protect Your Business from Ransomware
There are a number of steps businesses can take to protect themselves from ransomware attacks, including:
- Educating employees about the dangers of ransomware and how to avoid becoming a victim
- Implementing strict security policies, including only allowing employees to access the data and systems they need to do their jobs
- Keeping all software and systems up to date with the latest security patches
- Backing up data regularly to an offline location
- Using a reliable antivirus and antimalware solution
- Monitoring network activity for signs of unusual or suspicious activity