The following are tips for real estate professionals to protect themselves from cyber threats:
- Keep your software up to date: Be sure to regularly update your software, including your operating system, internet browser, and any security programs you have installed. Outdated software can provide opportunities for criminals to exploit vulnerabilities and gain access to your system.
- Use strong passwords and never reuse them: Passwords should be long, complex, and unique. Avoid using easily guessed words or personal information in your passwords. Never reuse passwords across different accounts.
- encrypt your data: Use encryption to protect your data, especially sensitive information such as client financial information or transaction details. Encryption makes it much more difficult for criminals to access and use your data if they gain unauthorized access to your system.
- Be aware of phishing scams: Phishing scams are a common way for criminals to try to obtain sensitive information such as login credentials or financial information. Be suspicious of any unsolicited emails or other communications that request personal information or login credentials.
- Backup your data: Regularly backup your data to protect against data loss in the event of a system compromise.
By following these tips, real estate professionals can help protect themselves from cyber threats.