The Pros and Cons of Ransomware and What You Can Do to Avoid It
Ransomware is a type of malicious software (malware) that is designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. It is a common form of cyber attack that can affect individuals, businesses, and even government institutions. While it is an effective form of extortion, it can also be an incredibly disruptive and expensive form of attack.
Pros of Ransomware
- Low Cost: Ransomware is a relatively low-cost form of attack because it requires minimal resources and time to carry out.
- Low Risk: The risk of ransomware is relatively low because it is encrypted and requires a code or key to decrypt it.
- Easy to Implement: Ransomware is relatively easy to implement because it can be embedded into existing software or remotely downloaded onto computers.
Cons of Ransomware
- Disruptive: Ransomware can be highly disruptive as it can prevent users from accessing their files and systems.
- Expensive: The cost of ransomware can be high depending on the amount of money demanded.
- Non-Refundable: If the ransom is paid, there is no guarantee that the system will be unlocked.
What You Can Do to Avoid Ransomware
- Install Antivirus Software: Installing antivirus software on your computers and devices can help protect you from ransomware and other types of malware.
- Keep Software Up to Date: Keeping your software, including operating systems and applications, up to date is essential for ensuring your system is protected against the latest malicious software.
- Use Firewalls: Firewalls can help protect you against malicious software by blocking malicious traffic and preventing them from infiltrating your network.
- Back Up Your Data: Regularly backing up your data can help protect you against ransomware as you will be able to recover your data if your system is compromised.
- Be Smart About Email: Be wary of any suspicious emails and links, as ransomware can be distributed via email attachments or malicious links.