Don’t panic. You need to calm down and start gathering supporting documents to get your precious domain name back.
What are the basic supporting documents that you need?
- Gather all your receipts. From the day you register, renew or purchased your domain name.
- Find your domain registration Customer Support contact information e.g. email address and phone number. Due to the urgency of this issue. I highly recommend calling them right away so they can guide you to the whole process of getting your domain name back.
- Other documents such as driver’s license photo copy, etc. to prove and compare your identity to their records.
What to do when you’re domain name is stolen?
- First, call your current Domain Name Registration services to report a stolen domain. Hopefully, they will be able to reverse the transfer of your domain in a short period of time.
- If you know the domain name was transferred to another registrar, call their customer service as well to report a stolen domain so they can freeze the domain name while investigation is under way.
- Contact ICANN to file a complaint. Visit this website https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/transfer/form to file your report. Enter your contact information and select applicable option “My domain name was transferred without my authorization“. And visit this page https://www.icann.org/compliance/complaint for additional information.
- If you own a number of domain names, check it now to make sure all domains are accounted. This is also the best time to update your password, and apply Two-Factor Authentication to add layer of security.
Always keep your account information up to date, apply the security measures recommended by your registrar e.g. Two-Factor Authentication, Secret password, etc.
Let me know if you have something to add.
Cheers for now.